Center Director – Imperial Valley Small Business Development Center
The IVSBDC is now hosted by the Imperial Regional Alliance. The Director will work for and report to the IRA management and its board. The position is a full-time position and is based in El Centro, CA. Please see attached job description. Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 24, 2017 at 12 noon.
DIRECTOR OF SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER
(IMPERIAL VALLEY, CALIFORNIA).
SUMMARY JOB DESCRIPTION
Under the general direction of the Regional Director of the San Diego and Imperial Small Business Development Center Network and the Imperial Regional Alliance, plan, organize, manage, and coordinate the operations and activities of the Imperial Valley Small Business Development Center (IVSBDC); assume responsibility for planning, developing, marketing, and overall administration of the IVSBDC in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Imperial Regional Alliance, the California Chancellor’s Office, California Community Colleges (COCCC), the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Small Business Development Center Program, and the Southwestern College SBDC Lead Center; develop programs to meet the specific technical assistance and training needs of the small business community; act as a liaison with both public and private sector small business assistance organizations; and provide the overall coordination of direct small business services within the Imperial Valley service area.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the programs and services of the Imperial Valley Small Business Development Center (IVSBDC).
- Plan, direct, and coordinate the work of assigned staff; supervise business consulting, administrative and clerical staff assigned to the IVSBDC.
- Establish formal cooperative agreements and small business programs with public and private sector individuals and/or entities to provide direct technical assistance and training opportunities for small businesses.
- Raise funding to support and grow the organization and its annual budget through presentations and funding requests with various lending institutions as well as public and private agencies.
- Assume responsibility for preparation and submission of periodic reports, grant proposals, and other program applications related to small business development and international trade.
- Represent the SBDC on various community, statewide, and national/international committees as well as at various meetings and conferences related to small business programs and services.
- Maintain an Advisory Board and schedule regular meetings.
- Develop fee-based, seminars and classes to meet the specific needs of the small business sector.
- Provide in-depth one-on-one consulting to small business owners and managers as well as entrepreneurs.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement an overall marketing plan to promote the SBDC and its services to small businesses.
- Implement project objectives and activities to meet contract conditions.
- Establish an operational strategy and metrics to track and evaluate: execution of annual goals (IVSBDC), budget and customer service.
- Oversee the implementation of a management information system database to collect relevant documentation for program outcomes.
- Support and assist the San Diego and Imperial SBDC Lead Center.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- General business practices, financing, and financial analysis.
- Marketing principles and practices.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including pertinent provisions of the laws affecting small businesses in California and international trade regulations.
- Methods and techniques of research, analysis, and decision making.
- Contract negotiation and management principles and practices.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles and practices of program development and administration including community partnership development.
- Principles supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Public speaking techniques. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software.
- Manage, direct, and provide effective leadership to the Imperial Valley Small Business Development Center.
- Facilitate inter-organizational cooperation. Prepare and administer an operational budget.
- Analyze and assess programs, policies, and operational needs and make appropriate adjustments.
- Interpret and apply applicable federal, state, and District policies, laws, and regulations as they apply to small business development.
- Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the work of lower level staff.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate staff.
- Coordinate activities for small business development.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Communicate with small business owners and small business service providers in both public and private sectors as well as with civic leaders.
- Prepare and present comprehensive, effective oral and written reports, proposals, and agendas. Plan, coordinate, and conduct a variety of meetings, seminars, workshops, and conferences.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action. Plan and organize work to meet schedules and time lines.
- Work successfully with Lead Center staff, other network staff, Imperial Regional Alliance staff and partners, as well as community representatives.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and applicable software applications
- Work with, exhibit sensitivity to, and understanding of the diverse racial, ethnic, disabled, sexual orientation, and cultural populations of the community.
- Bilingual Preferred
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Prior Business Experience is a plus
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: a Bachelor’s degree with a major in business administration or closely related field and four years of experience in the management of programs in small business, international trade, or economic development.
BACKGROUND AND SCREENING
Valid California driver’s license and a clean driving record.
Ability to pass drug upon successful background check
Provide credit report
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
: Work is performed primarily in a standard office setting with frequent interruptions and distractions; extended periods of time viewing computer monitor; possible exposure to dissatisfied individuals; work outside of normal business hours may be required in order to meet deadlines and to attend meetings in the evening or on weekends; travel may be required.
: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
$40,000-48,000 per year plus benefits 1st year dependent on budget
Please email resume to email@example.com any correspondence should be addressed to;
Board of Directors of Imperial Regional Alliance.
Imperial Regional Alliance